Monday 28 April 2008

Up date on Bike Ride

I have just returned from Australia where I was a guest at my Neice, Stephanie's wedding. Her mum, my late sister, died four years ago of cancer and that is the reason I am now involved with Macmillan Cancer Support.
Before I left I felt well and very fit. A lot of it was due to the work out at the gym and to Christine Brown a fitness instructor. I went three times a week and Christine took a lot of time with my training. Some days I did not feel like the quite punishing programme she put me through but, once she got me going, I was away and enjoying
it.
Unforgetable though it was the spell in Australia has set me back and I have a lot to do to get back on track. To-day I am meeting friends for a farewell lunch and then heading to the gym. I have a step machine at home and also weights and work out a bit with them. To take on this marathon bike ride , I'll have to be 100% fit. My friend Penny and I have only a couple of weeks left before we head off into the unknown and for the next 4 months
we'll be in the saddle ---scary!!!
I'll update my blogg as often as possible while away, but may be difficult when we reach prairie country.
We'll be hitting the Rockies a few days after we start and I believe there is one day of 30klms of steep, steep hill
which leaves me some what daunted. Although the training slipped a bit in Australia there was a particular day when I got hold of a bike and a steep hill. I decided to spend an hour or so just going up and down this hill. Curiosity became the better of one gentleman who came out to pretend to sweep the leaves off the grass. He eventually decided to enquire the purpose of this proceedure I had set myself. When I told him I ended up having tea in his house and also the tales of the 7 years he had spent in Canada!! I am sure as we pedal on,. we'll have so many stories to tell.

No comments: