Friday 4 July 2008

Leaving Glenboro

June 28th
It was sad to leave Ian and Carol. They had been so kind to us and it would have been so easy to stay a little longer before finally making the effort to get back in the saddle. After waving good-bye we were off to Kevin's in Glenboro. Kevin is head master at the local school and the school had just closed for the summer holidays. He checked my Dawes Karakum supplied by Dawes Cycles of Birmingham, who contributed to the ride with a very generous discount, and was impressed "This is a very good bike and everthing seems ok--spokes are fine and it is in very good condition. I thanked him very much and off we went. There was a fierce North wind blowing and it was increasingly difficult staying on the bike. I lost my balance several times and eventually decided to push. I was horizontal. Becky was trying to film some of the drama and it was even hard for her to stay upright. We came to a small town called Cypress Hills and I told becky I'd had enough. She understood and we headed for The Cypress Motor Inn. We entered the restaurant and immediately we were made welcome. Jim Cassels, the proprietor, said he had read about me in The Brandon Sun where I had been spread across page three!! "What can I get you girls" he asked " A large brandy would be nice" I joked. "No", I said, "I think a nice pot of tea and a look at the menu, please". "Sure" said Jim and off he went. Next thing a large bottle of brandy appeared at the table" Say when" said Jim. Becky and I giggled like school kids. "I was joking about the brandy, honestly" I said "Say when" said Jim removing the cap from the bottle. I think he realised what hell I had gone through out on the praries so we relented and thoroughly enjoyed the treat. We were then whisked off in Jim's truck to look at a church that had been bought by a couple and moved 7 miles to where they live. It is now a thriving B&B with large function room where the pews were. We admired the church and the amount of work that had gone into moving the church."Want to go horse riding out on the praries, or you can have a ride in a horse drawn wagon" Jim asked "Sounds brilliant " we said. Becky thought she could film me from her horse as I rode along in the wagon. We arrived at the ranch to find two 16 hand horses saddled up. Becky is an experienced horse rider, I am not. "I thought I was going in the wagon" I muttered "Well, no" called Carol, the owner of the ranch "We're not going out in the wagon to-day". So with no further ado Becky and I were up in the saddle. Carol had her horse running along side mine and with one big jump she was up bareback riding. I was nervous at first but began to relax and enjoy the hills we were going up and over. Katy (Eventing daughter) would have been proud to see me up there, or I think or she might have had a fit!! The day ended with a delightful evening chatting with all the locals in the bar allbeit a bit saddle sore in a few different spots!!

No comments: