Saturday 5 July 2008

Winnipeg at last

Monday 30th June
Hayward to Winnipeg
I was up early and had a walk around the cemetry which was beside our tents. There was a cafe that would be opening at 7am so we decided to have breakfast there. A few locals were in and we got chatting as usual. Becky picked up the daily paper and called over to me. "There is very bad news and I don't know whether to tell you or not " I read "Two charity cyclists had been killed on route 1. My God, I think I met them in a place called Carlyle" I was stunned. Later I saw a photograph of them and it wasn't the guys I had met, thank goodness, but dreadful news nevertheless - We would be on that very same route in a couple of days. We had a huge breakfast and when one of the locals left to pay for his coffee he called over "Your breakfast has been paid girls" It just goes on and on, the kindness. We were on our way to Winnipeg. Several days ago in Weyburn I asked how far it was to Winnipeg and was told it was 500miles and here I was, almost there. We were going to the airport to meet Penny off the plane and I was excited about seeing her again. The plane was on time and there was Penny looking as fitter than ever. We had a celebration meal and then it was off to a camp site for the night. Penny was tired. The site was full of noisy RV's and it was difficult to sleep and not just because of the noise....

No comments: