Wednesday 6 August 2008

Friendly Stranger in Ottowa

3rd August
Arnprior to Ottawa. 70km
Ottawa, the capital of Canada, and about 70kms to cycle! I am feeling good to-day and ' gearing' up for the last push to the coast. In coast to coast bike rides the tradition is to dip the rear wheel into the sea when you begin and the front when you finish. In all the excitement we dipped our front wheels as if we were about to cycle across the Pacific so I suppose we will have to reverse into the Atlantic - but we won't be setting off back! We had been told of a bike track, part way, which would take us into Ottawa avoiding the chaos of Highway 17. We would be parting company for a couple of days as Penny was off to stay with relatives North of Ottawa and I was going South to Ann's. We were at the 'Spider' a famous meeting point in Ottawa and apparently cost millions to build. We were not sure how to join the path again as we had lost it somewhere. We asked a passing cyclist who said he was going that way too. We parted company with Penny when we reached the point where she turned off and our companion stayed with me. He said he would accompany me to a point near Bank Street from where I was to cycle down to Ann's. He talked about the assaults on innocent victims that happen on the trail and I asked if it happened at night. "Oh no" he said "it can happen in broad daylight - just like now!!" I expected a knife or gun to appear from a pocket of his cycling top any minute. Who was this man - we had never met before and we were alone on a very quiet part of the bike track. Perhaps I should make a break for it break and beat it fast. My imagination went into overdrive but I decided this was ridiculous. He was a perfectly pleasant chap only trying to be helpful to a stupid old granny, hopefully! He finally waved goodbye with a cheery smile in Bank Street and I was on my way to stay with Ann for a couple of days. "What shall I take" I said to myself. "Perhaps a bottle of wine or fruit or chocs. would be nice." I settled for a bottle of wine and then a thought struck me. Perhaps she doesn't drink and she is a TT person! She wasn't and we had a great re-union. The old school photographs came out as we knocked back the whisky. The 1st XV rugby team of 1954 "Oh, I remember having a crush on him" I said to Ann "I remember my first real kiss with him" said Ann pointing to a stunner and so it went on. Lots of laughter and plenty of drachms!

No comments: