Wednesday 6 August 2008

Ottawa

3rd August
We had a leisurely day. Ann drove me around the area where she lives. It used to be called Gloucester but is now all part of Ottawa. Later, we sat in the garden enjoying the afternoon sun and the conversation was "Remember old so and so (teacher at Marr College). I got the belt nearly every day for talking. Old Dunt used to throw the wooden duster at me. Old Wilson took his cane across my backside" and so it went on. We agreed that would never happen now. The police would be involved and teachers would lose their jobs. We also agreed we had the best years.

4th August
Up and off early to sight-see around Ottawa We walked along the canal which is frozen in the winter and the whole city takes on a theme called Winter Interlude. It is a beautiful city with many magnificent buildings, too many to mention here.
www.ottawa.ca/

5th August
Penny and I have decided to finish the bike ride in Halifax and forget going up to Newfoundland. ZOOM headquarters are in Ottawa, in fact not very far from Ann. Mark, who does an excellent job as head of Customer Relations, had written a very nice letter inviting us to visit when we reached Ottawa. Penny came down with her sister-in-law, Janet, from Gateneau and Ann and I drove up to the office. What a reception was waiting for us. I just keep thinking that I am an ordinary wee granny from Scotland but the ZOOM team made me feel like a celebrity. They gave us gifts, donation for Macmillan Cancer Support and some dollars for us to enjoy a coffee or two and they very kindly arranged to bring the flight forward for us without a problem and we are now flying back on the 4th September arriving in Glasgow on the 5th at 08-40am which is 10 days ahead of the original schedule. I read through the ticket form to find that we are flying under "Very Important Person" status - there may be a charge for autographs when I get home!We left the office on a high, thanking them for the lovely time, and drove back to Ann's. Penny had to go back to collect her bike and cycled to Ann's. Triple Echo Film Productions had arranged for Randy to come to do a bit more filming (thank goodness, as my filming is such an amateurish affair) and he arrived with his young son Colin. It was so good to see him again - the last time we saw each other was in Nelson, BC, 4,800km ago. Ann's grandson, another Colin, also joined the party so it was a full house for her who originally thought I would just be stopping for a night or two by myself - well done Ann and thank you so much.
I am now up to date and Penny is starting to worry about the short time we have left to finish the bike ride. I may only be able to blog now and again but will do my best.

No comments: