Tuesday 13 May 2008

Another Day In The Life Of Granny Mave!!

I have butterfly handlebars on my new Dawes Karakum Bike, I also have a butterfly brain. Around 3-30-4 am the brain decides to become alert and remains so for 2-3 hours. There's lots of chatting and lots of activity going on in the bearers brain. She is not happy. She gets up and makes a cup of tea. She is tired and wants to sleep as there is much to do. She goes to her computer to reply to e-mails to be told by relations and friends that she must rest . She can't--they do not understand. Is there any help for this condition? If so, please let me know. Seriously ,though, this is happening to me and driving me crazy. I want to be fit and ready for the challenge but I need more sleep. Yesterday was a busy day. Our local MP Russell Brown came round in the afternoon and presented me with a very generous cheque. A photograph was taken for the Free Press and during the visit I got a phone call from Mark Beaumont (just broken the round the world cycling record) to wish us luck and to offer help which I thought was really nice as we are a pair of old Granny's and Mark is a young 24yr old!! At night Katy( daughter) William ( grandson) and I went out for a cycle run> Katy has my old bike by request, surprisingly, as she is an Eventer going off to Horse Trials every other weekend and I always imagined she thought cycling a bit tame. Anyway, she did enjoy it and something we can do when I get back. I have just come back from a big bike ride and I am saddle sore. The saddle is different from my old bike but I'll get used to it. I had planned to leave early but phone calls, e-mails , put paid to that. Eventually, I set off and the weather was fantastic. As I left Luce Bay ,my home , and headed across to Newton Stewart using all the back roads I thought how much I am going to miss this lovely area of Scotland with the rolling Hills of Galloway stretched out before me.

1 comment:

Mary Wozny said...

Mave, it was wonderful meeting you and Penny this morning in Collingwood, Ontario. For your followers, Mave and Penny had just biked into the local Starbucks for breakfast and my friends and I started speaking with them. We were in awe of the trip they are doing and felt they needed some publicity. I called our local TV station and newspaper and both of them came out to meet Mave and Penny and take photos and film for the news on the "telly" as you call it.

Good luck and safe travels to you both. It was an honour to meet you both and such a pleasure to chat with you. All the best to you!

Mary