Tuesday 27 May 2008

Rest Day in Okinagen Falls

26th May, Monday. Okinagen Falls - Helen, our sheep dog - we have Helen supporting us for the next few days. She looks after all our needs and is an absolute angel. I have a corn between big toe and 2nd toe and it hurts. I happened to mention it casually and she drove to Penticton near where we will be staying to speak to a pharmacist at the local pharmacy. She arranged an appointment for me where I would probably have put up with it!! Penny and I are used to doing everything for ourslves so to have Helen is pure bliss. We don't have to think about a thing - apart, that is, from all the technology that I have keep boring everyone about. In the morning I hook up the Satellite Personal Tracker to my shorts, wrap a microphone around the top of my arm, attach the camera to my handle bars and switch on my new mobile phone - which I am just about able to understand now!!! For some reason the SPOT tracker didn't work sp well to-day. I switched it on and John and Ruth (cousins) picked up the signal then all was lost. We set off from Princeton in the pouring rain and entered an area called Wolf Creek, Indian Territitory. A short way into the Creek, there it was staring at me in the middle of the road -- a gigantic wolf. I wondered if smiling at it might help as I wasn't sure whether it would attack me like the dogs. Fortunately, after eyeing me for a minutes or two. it took off into the wood and I have been told they won't harm us. The route was a bit od a roller coaster but not too tough. I was cycling along when my phone rang. It was CBC Radio wanting me to do a live broadcast (beginning to get used to all this now - and every time we appear in the media is one more chance for donations to MacMillan). Also a news girl from Toronto rang to say their paper was following us and would like to meet us later. Local papers, TV and Radio are really interested in The Two Grannies cycling across Canada!! I would like to down load photographs to the blog but have to learn to do that soon. We have discovered that we have a stowaway. Penny was searching in a pannier and a little something bit her finger. It was a mouse and he had a good chew at her toilet bag . Helen is delighted about the mouse and she has called it Hope as she thinks that is where it may have joined us!! It lives in her van!! Monday night we arrived at the beautiful lake side home of Susy and Mike, friends of Penny, where we will be spending a couple of rest days. We were made so welcome. It's one extreme to the other - from sleeping in our tents in camp sites to the luxury of this lake side home - from sitting around a camp fire eating from a plastic bowl with a plastic fork to dining in luxury with delicious food and fine wines - from a thermarest in a sleeping bag on the ground to a big comfy bed - from a cold dip in the river to warmth of a big deep bath. That's life from the happy campers.... I keep apologising for mistakes I make, now I am at it again . When I told you about our friendly Mountie I called him Bill - his name is Jim. So sorry Jim if you read this. Looking forward to a more relaxing day tomorrow with a bit of sightseeing and sorting out the technology.....

1 comment:

lynwen said...

Sounds like you two are getting on great! I can't believe you saw your first bear, what must have been not long after we left you! Holy Smokes! And a wolf too!! Wowzers!! I'm so proud of you for getting the camera out of the pannier, never mind whether you shot something or not! Keep on peddling ladies and I hope that the blogs keep coming. I need to know how my two road warriors are getting alon.
Love you and keep safe,
Lynwen.xxx