Monday 9 June 2008

Border Crossing

Friday 6th June
Fernie to Crowsnest
I left the big mountains and cycled across the border into Alberta. The change was immediate. The rolling hills of Alberta lay ahead, the road surface improved and, guess what, a TailWind, yipee!! The sun believe it or not came out for a few minutes. I had come up and over Crows Nest Pass and been told the worst bits were now behind me. If I had managed the mountain passes in BC then I had nothing further to fear. I was still on Route 3 and heading for the CrowsNest settlements. It is like three small separate villages but all called Crows Nest. I had caught up with Helen and we stopped to have a chat. It would be further along the route that I would rendezvos with the next camera person . I had to look out for a red truck with a red kayak on the roof. You'll never guess what the kayak was for!! More later!! Then it appeared in the distance, arms waving from the windows. This was Becky Bristow and her dad ,Stan.and they turned out to be two amazing people. With lots of hand shaking and and cuddles we hit the road again with the usual downpour accompanying me!! We would camp at Lundbreck that night. When we arrived in the outback town I was freezing and desperately longed for a hot bath and a log fire!! I did not want to put the tent up after a hard days cycle. A local came over to tell us about the free spagetti dinner they were serving in the hall so without further ado we were in there. I did a quick change in the loo and joined the gathering. By this time ,word had got around about the Scottish Granny so when I emerged from the loo cameras were at the ready. Help, all I am doing is pedalling a bike!! The supper was great and a Country Western Band played on the platform. This is an annual get-together of oldies and funded by money from raffles etc. over the year. Becky was filming the scene and I think the locals loved it. "We might be on TV " I heard them whispering. We said our goodbyes and off we went to the camp site. Stan made a roaring camp fire , Helen played the mouth organ, Becky filmed away and I sat taking in the scene with a glass of vin rouge!! Bliss!!

No comments: