Thursday 12 June 2008

Knight in Shining Armour

Tuesday 10th June.
Leaving Pinchers Creek for Cardston.
You would really have to have been with me to see what I endured to-day!!
I had a lot to do this morning before I left and wanted to make it to Cardston-93kms. Janice had said I would face roller coaster hills but not as bad as BC. I was told by one or two locals that a storm was coming in - I always get this negative stuff when I am just setting off. A little into the cycling the rain came down. I was prepared as I had put on my full rain gear. A short bike ride later, head winds and hail stones greeted me. The hail stones were bouncing off my face.I stopped at a cafe in the middle of nowhere. A few cowboys were sitting chatting round a table. There was silence as I entered. They looked at me."Does the sun ever shine in Alberta" I asked "Yes lady, it does but you sure have picked a godam day to ride your bike". As I left to pay for my coffee at the check out the hailstones were bouncing off the tin roof off the cafe "Have a nice day" the lady said behind the counter. I did a MacInroe "you can't be serious" I left in a blizzard. The hills were steeper than I had expected and the head winds became intolerable. The bike came to a halt and I keeled over. I stayed off the saddle as I was no longer in control of the bike. I pushed the bike into the icy wind. I had no feeling on my face and my lips could not move. My fingers were frozen stiff as I wear fingerless cycling gloves. I was heading down the road to hypothermia. I was afraid I might perish and I was worried sick. It's a wilderness with just an odd ranch or two. At that moment a truck pulled up. It was Max and without ado, he simply took my bike, panniers and loaded them on to the truck. "Just get right into the front and get warm" he said I was numb and unable to talk. He had been heading to Pinchers Creek where I had cycled from and turned his truck round when he saw me. He was my saviour." Where are you heading" he asked. At this point I was crying and incoherent. He understood and was so considerate . When normal service resumed, I told him I was cycling to Cardston but if he could drop me off at Waterton I'd find a cheap motel or camp site.He told me his home was in Lethbridge and had a cabin here that he loved and often came to trek in the mountains and golf. We drove on. He asked me about the Bike Ride and where I came from. Later we arrived at his cabin and he said "This is yours". He took me in and showed me round. "Please help yourself to food, drink, shower and laundry and when you are warm I'll take you across and introduce you to Dave and Barbara". It was all too much to take in. There I was, a short while ago desparately struggling against all that nature could throw at me and now I was warm and cosy in this wonderful cabin -- wow!! Later that day, Max phoned Barbara to see how I was and to say that the news was a tornado was expected around the area of Lethbridge not far from here! Oh boy! Later Barbara phoned her friend, Pat, who runs the local bike shop, to ask if he could service my bike. By this time snow was falling, snow upon snow. I can't believe it The tree branches are already hanging from the effect. We checked the bike in and Barbara took me on a tour of Waterton National Park where I am staying. I settled down for the night and aloud thanked Max for saving me.

No comments: