Wednesday 25 June 2008

The Rural

19th June
Assiniboia-Ogema
The days are all very similar with long long stretches of road ahead and flat flat fields to right and left. Here is a song I made up to the tune of I Can See Clearly Now The Rain Has Gone. My version. I can see clearly now the road ahead, I can see miles and miles of distant land, And as I cycle along with the wind in my face, I think of the long and lonely day. But, cheer up Mave it will be over soon, The struggle, the pain will disappear, Beyond the horizon is another world, Where friends are waiting for you!! End of song. I arrived in Ogema and found a little library. The librarian kindly gave me the use of a computer to catch up with mail etc. A cluster of ladies were chatting over coffe at a table in the middle of the room. This was a jolly, laughing bunch and certainly no signs of SILENCE PLEASE. When I finished, they invited me to join them and they asked me about the bike ride. They meet every morning and it reminded me a bit of The Rural back home. I camped alone in a field that night. It was a recognised camp site with a toilet block, etc but absolutely deserted. I worried about another thunder storm and decided after the first flash of lightning I'd grab my bedding and make for the loo's. All was quiet and there was no storm that night.

No comments: