Wednesday 25 June 2008

Rural No 2

20th June
Ogema- Weyburn
Sunny day with a tail wind - Great. I decided to stop to have a breakfast in a little place called Pangman. There was a delightful cafe where a table stretched along the middle of the room. There sat a group of women and a couple of men. It looked as if a meeting was in progress and I wasn't sure where to sit. "Come and sit with us" a voice called out. No they were not having a meeting but do meet every morning for a chat and to catch up with the latest news. I asked about The Red Coat Trail that I had been cycling on for several days. There was a great bustle around me and one lady went off to see how much history she could collect. They were all showing a great deal of interst in my question and I was beginning to feel a little embarrassed. Well this is the story - In 1874 two groups of Mounties left Winnipeg in their covered wagons. One group went South to Fort Macleod and the other group went North to Fort Edmonton. There they set up the Trail which is 1300kms long and called The Red Coat Trail on route 13. The whole scene was re-enacted in 1999 when the all the village folk turned out with their bonnets and covered wagons. I was invited to come through to an adjoining room where a lady asked if I was the cyclist who had been in the library in Ogema yesterday. A friend of hers, one of The Rural at the coffee gathering, had phoned to tell her of the Scottish Granny. They were all such a lovely bunch and I remarked on how sad to think we'll probably never meet again. "I know our paths will cross again" one lady said. I didn't like to ask "where" but somehow I suspect she meant Heaven! During my blogs I know I haven't been pointed out much on historical facts of interest but it is a fascinating country with a great deal of history. I know Janice did that in her book "Bike Ride With A Twist" http://www.bikecanadawithatwist.com/ . She researched so much. I think I am just researching my brain. I do apologise to the blog readers who would like a bit more history, but if you buy Janice's book or a book on Canada, it's all there - or maybe I might just write my own!!
Weyburn, - reputed to be so-called because two Scotsmen on horseback riding across the prairies came upon the River Souris and one said to the other "Oh, there's a wee burn" That is the romantic version and the other is that it was called after a famous rail road worker of that name. I made my way to the Riverside Camp Ground and it was busy. My front tyre was slowly deflating and this is where I got my first puncture . At the office was a decking with flowers and people sat chatting and drinking coffee. They asked me to join them and then started "Where are you from, where are you going. are you alone ??? It was good to spend an evening with people. I decided to have a lay over day as it seemed to be a happening kind of place. I called Penny and she said her flight was booked and she would be flying into Winnipeg on the 3oth June. So that was very good news. Also I had a chat with Laura, co-ordinator for Triple Echo Productions, who did not realise I had lost the camera and that, unless it is turned in - still hoping, there would be no footage from the unforgettable prairies!! All that drama out on the prairies and no record except memories I will never ever forget. Wow-that is bad. I spoke to Becky on the phone and she is coming out on the 25th June to film the last of the prairies!! I will be so happy to see her.

1 comment:

Trylinski Books said...

It was great meeting you in Pangman that day when you stopped in for breakfast. Here are a few links where you can find more information about the Red Coat Trail (Highway 13). Check out the Saskatchewan Tourism at http://www.sasktourism.com/places-to-go/road-trips/red-coat-trailand
and the Wikepedia website at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Highway_13 . I hope the rest of your trip is safe and enjoyable and that your friend Penny is able to join you soon.