Saturday 7 June 2008

Rain and mad dogs

Wednesday 4th June
Creston - Cranbrook
The forecast was rain. I set off early to cycle the 110kms to Cranbrook . 15 mins later it started!! I stopped at a filling station to get the rain gear on ready for the big black clouds ahead. There I met a joyless man. He asked where I was going. He told me I shouldn't be cycling alone. He told me it was big bear country -- "be bear aware" he said. "you've got some big uns " he continued. Now he was now talking about the hills I would be encountering. Then without further ado, he was off and so was I. My spirits were sinking well into the pedals on my bike !! It poured. The area to the side of the road was uncycleable. My specs were dripping with rain water and I couldn't see. The big logger trucks were spraying gallons of water over me. A barking from the woods startled me. The barking got louder but a fence stopped the crazy dogs from molesting me. They went berserk at this point. I felt so alone and very unhappy. The friends I had made earlier had been so kind. To-day I felt Canada was a big, cold country. I was homesick. I wanted to go home--home to Whitefield Loch to be with my grand children, fishing, Penny had flown home to Scotland for treatment and I was missing my cycling buddy. I am not sure when she will be joining me but hopefully, soon. Later the sun came out and I felt better. We camped in a forest where we heard a bear had been prowling the night before!! Sweet dreams !!

No comments: