Saturday 7 June 2008

Suicidal Journey

Thursday 5th June
Cranbrook to Fernie
Mountain Time Zone--clocks forward one hour
To-day , if at all comprehendible , was more of a nightmare than the day before. Rain, big logger trucks having fun spraying me and road surface worse than the previous day. I removed my self from the saddle of my bike and wept, A big dark tunnel lay ahead. I was scared to go through it as I have no lights on my bike. If I went through it beside a logger truck then it was curtains for me!! Doesn't this sound fun my dear blogger readers!! Bet you wish you were out here cycling with me!! Well I got through the tunnel risking my life and emerged safely at the other end. Helen had arranged an interview with Pierre, journalist with the local Free Press in Fernie. He arranged to meet at The Stanford Inn, a magnificent hotel overlooking the Rockie Mountains. Pierre is quite a cyclist himself - he and his wife packed their bikes and went off on a 14 month cycling trip taking in Scotland, Ireland, Germany and France! I told him about the horrors of my trip so far and he said "Do you know what", "I would never cycle on that route 3 that you did". During the interview the rain was tumbling down and I aired my thoughts about the putting up of tents in the cold and wet. Pierre had been there before and do you know what - he booked us into the splendid hotel where the interview took place!! Wasn't that fantastic!! Thank you dear Pierre.
PS I haven't been giving you any historical facts about the places I have been through. Apologies for this. There had been a big mining population in most of the towns but that died many years ago and new industries have taken over, mainly tourism. BC has many ski resorts and I am in one at the moment. I will not be blogging for a day or so as to-day I cross the border into Alberta, big prairie country and flat!!! I have been on mountain passes since I started and have one more to go over!!

No comments: