Saturday 28 June 2008

Feast fit for a Queen

25th June
Souris.
I moved my tent down by the river as I had pitched it in an enclosure surrounded by a high hedge. I needed new tyres for my bike as they were showing signs of wear and tear. I met Kay who had been sitting next to me the previous evening during supper at Manor house. She had come over from England many years ago and settled in Canada. I told her about the tyres and she said if I went to the hardware shop Scott would sort me out. Scott did not have the suitable tyre but would phone the bike shop in the nearest big town called Brandon. "Come back about 3pm" he said. When I returned, the tyres were there and together Scott and I assembled them. No, there was no charge for delivery just the price of the tyres. What kindness. That evening I cycled to Robin and Yvonne's and you would have thought you were back in Scotland. The Scottish accents and jokes were flying. The meal was out of this world and Yvonne insisted I have seconds of everything. She was worried about about my camping diet. I met so many wonderful people and thank them all for being so kind to me. I was returning to the camp and it was quite dark. A car pulled up and a voice called "Is that Mavis?" It was Ian and Carol Marshall from Glenluce who had ome out here 10yrs ago. They had spent a couple of hours trying to find me. Ian and Peter (son-in-law) had been friends since childhood and Ian had been usher at the wedding of Peter and Katy I had left a message on their answer machine to tell them where I was and was hoping to meet them. They insisted I stay with them on my way to Winnipeg. I was meeting Becky again to do some more filming and they invited her to stay also.

No comments: