Thursday 19 June 2008

A Rum Do

Tuesday 17th June
Cadillac to Lafleche
In the end there were no galloping hooves but I did have a rather disturbing night. I wanted to leave at break of dawn for the 86Km to Lafleche so I was on the road at 6-30am. The sun was out and it looked set to be a perfect day. As you have probably read, the perfect days did not exist on this journey so far!! The roads are really bad, with rough red tarmac with huge patches of repair work covered in gravel. My poor old bike, it was all over the place!! I felt a bit better as the sun was shining and I had a tail wind. I arrived in Lafleche, a very pretty little town, and asked about camping. I was told it was a field and the chap pointed over to a very remote area. There were no campers or R V's It was completely deserted. No one to talk to. I need people. I'm losing my marbles. I have come through such a lot and when I am home in my cosy wee log cabin, I'll wonder how I survived. Courage, that is what a friend of Penny's commented in her Just Giving Web Site. I think that sums it up. During the night, I was awakened by a flash of lightening that filled my tent. In the distance, the crack of thunder could be heard. I dread a thunder storm when I am in my tent. The flashing was so bright that I hid in my sleeping bag. The thunder drew closer and the downpour started. A howling wind was bringing my tent down. I hadn't tied it down very well as it had been such a lovely night and I had no thought of a thunder storm. It became intolerable and I was sure the tent would cave in on me. I couldn't get out to tie it down as I would be blown off the planet. Only one thing for it, reach for the rum. Janice had mentioned how, after a hard days cycle , a glass of rum and whatever you wish in it, was a perfect way to end the day. This was no long drink with whatever you wish in it--no it was straight from the neck of the bottle. I lay terrified and prayed for the storm to die before I did. The rum was helping but sleep was impossible. Eventually it settled, and I slept.

No comments: